Friday, July 12, 2013

Sanderlings


Blue, blue, blue
beat, beat, beat
scurry, scurry, scurry
Of tiny, tiny feet

Moving in and out and out and in
And in and out again
Like a winged accordion
Playing tidal rhythm
Beat, beat, beat
With their tiny, tiny feet

This is offered for Mary's bird prompt at Poetry Jam poetryjaam.blogspot.com and for Poetic Bloomings "A Day at the Beach" to write an abstract poem which means (loosely) it's more about sound than meaning of words. Flock behavior fascinates me and Sanderlings always make me smile the way they race along the tidal edge together.  Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. ha. def easy to see them moving in and out with the tide chasing any thing alive they can get their beak on...smiles...thansk for the moment at the beach...i wanna go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian!! So glad you can picture them--happy to share the beach--wish we could all go :-)

      Delete
    2. sounds like you had a great time on vacay...

      Delete
  2. Love how your repitition and rhythm resembles their winged accordian feet, Sara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie! Thank you very much--I was happy when I came up with that accordion line--my mom used to play it...:-)

      Delete
  3. They make me smile too! Nicely done Sara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! Always happy to share a smile, thank you:-)

      Delete
  4. I agree wholeheartedly .... I giggle while watching those creatures scampering about in the sand and froth of the ocean water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, Sara. Your poem makes me homesick for th e beach. I remember sanderlings, and you captured them perfectly. I can see them skittering from your words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is heavenly to see them frolic in and around the waves. It is certainly the quick moves that make them successful. Nicely Sara!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah you made me see them....Like a winged accordion
    Playing tidal rhythm....love this...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just at the beach recently and now I"m smiling thinking of the birds movements as an accordion! Such a perfect description!

    ReplyDelete

Your words are wonderful! Thanks for popping in--I'll be over in a snap!